2017 Big Sur Photography Workshop
The Big Sur Coast of Central California must be seen to be bellieved, must be experienced to fully appreciate. Legendary Highway 1 clings to the cliffs as it snakes its way north from the San Simeon to Carmel. Isolated redwood groves lie hidden away in small side canyons. Waterfalls are waiting to be discovered a short walk from the highway. And below there is always the Pacific surf pounding the rocky shore.
Located along the central coast of California, Big Sur offers the most dramatic landscape on the Pacific Coast. This is a great place to broaden your technical and creative skills and unleash the artist in you. And November is the perfect time to be there. The light is extraordinary and crashing surf is exhilarating. Come join us for a truly memorable and rewarding experience.
- When: November 6-9, 2017
- Where: Big Sur, California
- Class size: 8
- Instructor: Ralph Nordstrom (award winning fine art photographer and educator)
- Cost: $640.00 USD
- Deposit: $200.00 USD (non-refundable)
Does not include lodging, transportation, meals or fees.
Lodging: This workshop takes us along the central Coast with one night in San Simeon, two nights in Big Sur and the last night in Carmel. Lodging recommendations will be provided
Transportation: San Simeon is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from San Francisco International Airport. The return drive from Carmel is about 2 hours.
Physical Difficulty: Moderate. Some of the locations require a hike in of a mile or two. Not recommended for people with poor balance unless using trekking poles.
- Photograph the best locations in the best light
- Broaden your technical and creative skills through quality one-on-one and classroom instruction
- Small class size
- Enjoy the fun, positive atmosphere
- Exposure basics - ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Histogram - interpret and identify exposure problems
- Refine exposures - exposure compensation and HDR
- Sharpness - creative use of depth of field, blurs
- Fantastic light - recognize it, capture it, make the most of it
- Strong composition - direct the viewer's eye, create unity, balance and visual tension
- Digital SLR
- Sturdy tripod
- Wide angle lens
- Normal lens
- Telephoto lens
- Circular polarizer filter
- Variable neutral density filter (optional)
- Shutter release
- Camera bag
- Camera manual
- Laptop computer with processing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.)
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Sun protection
- Rain gear for you and your camera