2018 Death Valley Photography Workshop
Death Valley National Park is one of the premier photography workshop destinations in the West. The fantastic diversity of features and subjects provides a variety that is both exciting and challenging.
There is so much to photograph in Death Valley from the soft curves of the dunes to the jagged textures of Devil's Golf Course, unbelievable colors of Artists Palate, the unending expanse of salt playas, incomprable Zabriskie Point and more - Death Valley has one inspiring delight after another.
And this year we've added an extra day so we can rent jeeps and drive out for an unforgetable day at the Racetrack, that magical place where rocks slide across the playa. You're not going to want to miss out on this.
A typical day begins with a morning shoot and ends with sunset. Some days we're photographing all day. On other days we have classes and photo critiques in the middle of the day. While in the field we provide one-on-one help with the areas that are important to you. Our goal is to broaden your technical skills and unleash the artist in you.
February is the ideal time to photograph Death Valley. The weather is at its best with perfect temperatures and the possibility of winter storms can create unparalleled light and drop fresh snow on the mountains.
You can find photography workshops with big name photographers and prices to match. But you will be hard pressed to find photography workshops that offer greater value than ours.
So join us in Death Valley for our expanded 2018 photography workshop.
- When: February 18-22, 2018 (5 days, 4 nights)
- Where: Death Valley National Park, California
- Maximum Class size: 8
- Instructor: Ralph Nordstrom (award winning fine art photographer and educator)
- Cost: $1000.00 USD (INCLUJDES JEEP RENTAL FOR RACETRACK)
- Deposit: $200.00 USD (non-refundable)
Does not include lodging, transportation, meals or fees.
Lodging: Our base of operations is Stovepipe Wells Village in Death Valley. You will receive instructions to book your room when you sign up.
Travel: If you're flying in, Las Vegas is your best option and only about 2 1/2 hours from Death Valley.
Physical Difficulty: Moderate. Most of the shooting locations are near the road. The dunes require a walk across the desert to the sandy slopes of the dunes.
Your privacy is important to us. We will never share your information.
- Photograph the best locations in the best light
- Broaden your technical and creative skills through quality one-on-one and classroom instruction
- Small class size
- Enjoy the fun, positive atmosphere
- Exposure basics - ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Histogram - interpret and identify exposure problems
- Refine exposures - exposure compensation and HDR
- Sharpness - creative use of depth of field and blurs
- Fantastic light - recognize it, capture it, make the most of it
- Strong composition - direct the viewer's eye, create unity, balance and visual tension
- Digital darkroom workflow
- Digital SLR
- Sturdy tripod
- Wide angle lens
- Normal lens
- Telephoto lens
- Circular polarizer filter
- Shutter release
- Camera bag
- Camera manual
- Laptop computer with processing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.)
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Sun protection
- Rain gear for you and your camera