2018 Zion National Park Photography Workshop
Zion is "The place of refuge." Standing next to the peaceful Virgin River you gaze up in amazement at the canyon walls glowing red in the afternoon sun. Up on the plateau, endlessly fascinating forms and textures will delight your eye and imagination. The Great White Throne reaches majestically to the blue sky and the Riverside Walk is serene and quieting. There are so many things to experience here, so many moods to capture.
The Zion we love today hasbeen carved over the ages by water. The Virgin River, which flows so peacefully through the canyon, is responsible for this grand display of nature. But prior to that, ancient seas and vast desert dunes provide the thousands of feed of layered linestone and sandstone that the river has carved.
A typical day begins with a morning shoot and ends with sunset. Some days we're photographing most of the day. On other days we have classes and photo critiques in the middle of the day. While in the field we provide one-on-one help with the areas that are important to you. Our goal is to broaden your technical skills and unleash the artist in you.
October is an especially bautiful time to be in Zion. The temperatures are pleasant and the cottonwoods are strating to turn. And if we're lucky we'll be able to experience the thrill of a late autumn storm.
You can find photography workshops with big name photographers and prices to match. But you will be hard pressed to find photography workshops that offer greater value than ours.
Come join us in Zion National Park, October 2018. You will fall in love with this place.
- When: October 20-23, 2018
- Where: Zion National Park, Utah
- Maximum Class size: 8
- Instructor: Ralph Nordstrom (award winning fine art photographer and educator)
- Cost: $720.00 USD
- Deposit: $200.00 USD (non-refundable)
- Even better: Extend your esperience. Check out the Super Utah photography workshop.
Does not include lodging, transportation, meals or fees.
Lodging: Our base of operations is The Bumbleberry Inn in Springdale, UT.
Transportation: If you're flying in, Las Vegas is your best option and only about 3 hours from Springdale.
Physical Difficulty: Easy. Most of the shooting locations are near the road or short hikes along easy trails.
Your privacy is important to us. We will never share your information.
- Photograph the best locations in the best light
- Broaden your technical and creative skills through quality one-on-one and classroom instruction
- Small class size
- Enjoy the fun, positive atmosphere
- Exposure basics - ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Histogram - interpret and identify exposure problems
- Refine exposures - exposure compensation and HDR
- Sharpness - creative use of depth of field, blurs
- Fantastic light - recognize it, capture it, make the most of it
- Strong composition - direct the viewer's eye, create unity, balance and visual tension
- Digital darkroom - workflow and image enhancement
- Digital SLR
- Sturdy tripod
- Wide angle lens
- Normal lens
- Telephoto lens
- Circular polarizer and variable neutral density filters
- Shutter release
- Camera bag
- Camera manual
- Laptop computer with processing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.)
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Sun protection
- Rain gear for you and your camera